Re: Re: Last actions as played

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:03:40 -0700

> >Do something Heroicly Fatal*
>
> Well, an AP-bid action enters in Heroicly Fatal with a choice of get back
> positive AP, don't it?
> (Sorry if I insist about AP-bid actions, but a few days ago these actions
> were my prototype of final actions)

This is a personal narrator call, outside "the rules". Depending on circumstances, I might allow a "Heroically Fatal" act that saved the world/heroband to succeed without rolling. Probably the archetypical act would be to throw oneself on a live hand grenade to protect your comrades (since Mostali have handgrenade-equivalents, I figure this is a valid example :-) ). Should Joe, knocked down to -45 AP (dying) do this sacrificial act, I *probably* wouldn't say "okay, roll against your Tough, if you make it and get to positive AP I'll allow you to jump on the grenade next turn", instead I might say "Okay, you've been blown to smithereens, but you've saved the lives of your buddies. What a Hero".

Remember that the rules are supposed to be a framework that support your play, not a set of railroad tracks that you can't get off of. Don't feel constrained to use *any* set of rules if they give you bad results or detract from fun. Part of being a narrator is knowing when to say "screw the rules".

RR