Re: mysticism

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:03:17 -0000

> Nonetheless, here is the gist of my opinion today:
> Mystical practices in HQ are Normal Religions

Sounding good so far...

>which, if their discipline is
> followed and gets to 10W in (probably) five abilites then they pay
only
> Concentrated Magic HP for advancement.

Hmmm, I think I follow...

>They can then seek futher
> advancement, different per discipline, towards enlightment.

The one suggestion I might have here is that there could be several forms/disciplines of a mystical practice such that the common practice is distinctly different (even to the point where some appear theistic and others animistic) but that the central path towards enlightenment would be the same for all these forms.

These common religous practices might in some cases be almost exactly like theism / animism and use the appropriate rules but would have a mystical secret at the heart of them rather than a divine or spiritual one. Which just leaves the practices without a mystical secret and pathway to enlightenment (such as the path of immanent mastery in which the secret is probably Transform to Dragon or suchlike) to be looked down upon as being spiritual dead-ends by the Kralori.

Direct monastic/ascetic mysticism should still be there but would be rather like the direct worship of great gods, less to be gained in game terms in the short run and in the long run you get Enlightened out of the game. I quite like the idea that anyone who has developed the secret from a common practice is then in theory at least (subject to suitable personality etc) able to retire to the monastic/ascetic life and the faster track to enlightenment.

Or possibly I'm just off on one.

--
Nic