Re: How to stage this scene?

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:58:54 +0000

>The scene is the following:
>the heroes are fleeing from an underground Krarshti
>temple: they have desecrated it and it starts to
>crumble.
>
>The minions of the Goddess (krarshtkids) await them
>and ambush them on their way to the surface.
>
>BUT
>
>I'd like to give them the impression that the real
>danger is the crumbling cave and tunnels, not the
>krarshtkids.

If the real danger is the collapsing tunnels, then that needs to be the main contest. I can see doing this one of three ways...

(1) Just describe it. If they haven't reached such and such a point after so many actions, they're dead. Otherwise, the roof collapses just behind the last one out.

(2) Simple contests. Every action they take is followed by a simple contest against "Crush heroes to death". I'd start that low (6? 12? Depends on your characters) as most heroes won't have anything terribly stunning to resist with, but I'd increase it by, say, 5 every time. I'd also tell the players what I'm rolling against.

(3) Extended contest. The Krashti become the minor distraction - fighting them is a simple contest, as for any other unrelated action. Don't make 'em too hard - simple contests kill quicker than extended! Again, I'd start the "Crush Heroes" skill quite low (maybe not so low, though) but give it *lots* of APs. Justify it as the contest is against this rock, plus all its follower rocks. Then, I might slowly crank up the rating. Depends if I wanted to reach the point where heroes were definatly going to die if they haven't already escaped.

Personally, I've only ever used number 1 in similar situations. But then, I'm the guy who finds Hero Wars a bit rules heavy...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson