Re: How to stage this scene

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:39:05 -0800 (PST)

> This example brings me to a more general point to do
> with pre-planning how to
> run scenes. Part of me wants to decide on the spot
> but I have often thought
> that, with hindsight, I should have run a simple
> contest, an extended
> contest, started with different abilities, etc. More
> and more I am spending
> time thinking exactly how to resolve a specific
> scene contest. Does anyone
> else feel this way and is it just good practice to
> think about contest
> resolution before a session, or is it my lack of
> practice resulting in me
> picking the "wrong" contest if I do not think before
> I narrate.
>
> Keith

I think I get what you mean.
I suppose that improvisation is usually better, ex post: it naturally suits the mood of the players (narrator and heroes alike) and their need for a fast or long scene.

But improvisation can lead to post-thinking and maybe delusion from the players (narrator or heroes) Usually, when the players complain that a scene was longer than they expected it happens when I prepared too much in advance and imposed them my long scene. Equally, when I complain with myself that I could have managed that scene differently, I think that next time and next scenario I can run things differently; or I can ask my players if they shared my slight delusion or it was just me.

Ciao,
Gian

Yahoo! Mail Plus � Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com