Re: Improvise or Die

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:48:53 -0000

Hi Stefan,

> don't forget that one needs dedicated players to actually make any
>use of what makes HeroWars and similar games so special. call me a
>'loser', but it seems my second game in line is about to crash
>because my players don't get 'it'.

> maybe it's me, maybe it's them, but it's always 'new-style' [me] vs.
> 'old-school'[them], and after a while it seems we don't get >
>together anymore.

It is a good question, and I let you know what I think you can try, but bear with me while I collect my thoughts.

One thing I would say now is that I think that Hero Wars does offer a comfortable enough middle ground between say Pendragon and something like Cold Mountain (http://pages.prodigy.net/idyoung/cold.htm). Running a session of the latter as a one-shot might mean people can relate to the differences of Hero Wars to BRP-style games, which are far less extreme. I guess though you have been trying this with Donjon.

Also don't be afraid at the beginning to avoid worrying about new style or old style or what you should be achieving aim to have fun with. Run Hero Wars one-shots until it begins to click rather than necessarily embarking on a full-blooded campiagn. People worry less and just get into it more when they don't feel they are making a permanent choice.

You could try posting an Actual Play of a session, here or at the Forge to see if anyone can help diagnose problems.

More later, anyone else...