Re: Re: Improvise or Die [So what?]

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:02:05 -0800 (PST)

snipped interesting comments and nips.

To Act or to React?

This is the problem.

In my current group of players some people like to act, some to react. So I've got to keep a complementary attitude.
Also I distinguish (at least) two levels of interaction bewteen the heroes and the world.

  1. The personal level (hero's personal feeling, personal goals, personal antagonists).
  2. The team level (even if the heroes have different goals they should interact possibly in a cooperative way, else why call it group RPG and don't play one-on-one RPG?).

At each level the heroes can Act or React (and the world, as a collective, or better, the narrator and her narrator characters either React or Act).

Plus some things/events simply Happen;
but maybe there is a driving force behind them and if the heroes look for it, in the end the narrator should be able to provide a personal or team link even for apparently random events, like a Flood or an EarthQuake.
Why? Because the game is funnier this way (less random driven, like a computer game unsatisfactory is) and because human superstition always looks for ends and causes and Discover (Invent) them even if reality might not be "aware" of it.

All IMO and IMG, of course,

Am I on topic here?

Ciao,
Gian