Re: Question on Augments

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:57:57 EST

In a message dated 09/01/03 11:36:01 GMT Standard Time, hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< >To implement an augmentation does it require an unrelated action, or
>do people run into combat with all their augments up and running. I
>have seen different comments about this and was wondering. >>

My house rules are:

Only one augment takes effect at any one time, but it is the best one. ie you can try for all sorts of augments but can ignore negative results by choosing another result. The negative results go against the augmenting ability. (ie if you fail, you could try again with your "augment other ability" ability but it is cumulatively less likely to suceed.)

For the whole contest, takes an action. Because of the first rule I either allow as many attempts as they want, or say, "you have time of three augments", before the contest, depending on the circumstances. (eg for a contest taking several weeks I might say, you can augment but need to go against a duration modifier for anything that is unsustainable.)

For one action effect, only auto augments can be used, but no action needed. (this is to keep it to one die roll per player per action).

The only advantage that magic has in this process is that I am more lenient in the side effects of failure. Failed magic augments means that you are (to use a RQ3 analogy) low on magic points, whereas failed mundane augments have other effects, failed "strong" might result in a pulled muscle, failed "eloquence" might mean you lose your voice, or patronise someone.

Keith