Re: Re: latest Q&A on Glorantha.com site

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:41:48 -0800

> Lets start by admitting that I am not a great one for "roleplaying"
> and often my group are just a bunch of 'wargamers'
> playing 'roleplaying'... With this in mind I have to be careful
> what I allow in my games or the rules orientated players will try to
> abuse it. Because of this I prefer to squash things before they get
> started.

I normally I advocate "Yes, but...", or if you can't, "No, but...", but if you can't come up with a "but..." to go with it, sometimes you just have to say "Sorry, No." Of course, I also don't like rules abusers ;-).

> With what you are saying above there is nothing stopping you
> stacking up various augment bonus's from a single feat, simply by
> applying different aspects of the same feat. As long as my player is
> imaginative he can just keep adding them on. Now I know you are
> going to come back with "only allow what is reasonable", but where
> do you draw the line? 1,2,3,4 variations of the same augment? Even
> if you stop at 3 say, that means each player can do 3, and possibly
> from 2 different affinities. So with 6 players, 2 affinities and 3
> variations that is 36 augments. Some affinities have more than one
> related feat, so you can probably double that to 72 augments....

No - One person can augment with One ability One time. The scenario I write above has three different people using the same feat as an augmenter, not one person using the same feat three times. Whether you allow the same ability - "Sword help" in this case - to augment the same person three times (or fifteen), is up to you, but in this case I go with the rules - don't allow one person to use the same ability more than once as an augmenter.

> I KNOW this is absurd, and would take 16 rounds to set up, but I
> testing the theoretical limits of the system. With my players I have
> to be careful what I allow. One augment per feat sounds like a nice
> idea, and even then you get 12 augments ))...

If the group can come up with 15 interesting uses for a single feat, *and* have enough people to cast them once each, I have no problem with it. But one person "double-dipping" (or fifteen-dipping) abilities is right out.

RR