Re: More HW basics

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:19:07 +0200

Wulf Corbett:

> Or is
> there some sort of 'standard' augmentation when you don't want to roll
> all the dice? 18 vs. 10 is far from a sure thing, after all, less than
> a 50-50 chance.

        My non-standard ruling is that NPCs get the augmentation whose resistance would be lower than the ability. In other words an ability of 18 entails a +3 bonus/+6 edge. Too much? Perhaps, but my players know I'm lucky and so accept it happily - lest I try for a higher bonus! Seriously, it never created problems. Of course, I didn't do it many times, so perhaps it will.

        Otherwise you'd have to describe - with a nice, cinematographic, cut - how much the NPCs are relying on the augmentation and then roll for the bonus. But I feel it isn't usually worthwhile. Of course, it is absolutely appropriate when two fighters are stirring themselves up before a climatic duel, or when one of them is training in the snowy woods while the other is in the super high-tech gymnasium - in this case I'd run it as an extended contest. :)

	Cheers,
	A rocky Alex.