Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...> <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:25:36 -0000

> > Let me state that again: The intent is to allow *you* to decide
> what a feat,
> > spell, spirit or ability can be used for, or not, and if there
> should be a
> > penalty applied to the target number.

But there are very few examples, and for a lot of people that makes it difficult. They have nothing to base their decisions on, especially if they are not versed in Glorantha lore.

There is a danger in doing this that you leave too much to the players, who are then discouraged by the lack of definition... most people (not all) like to be directed until they become comfortable...

HW sort of sits between a "designed world" source book and a "system rulebook". Because it is based on Glorantha it can draw on a huge wealth of material that anyone familiar with it will understand, if you are an outsider it is actually a hinderance to your understanding.

Merely as a query, how much play testing was done by dumping the rules on complete strangers to RQ/HW/Glorantha, and how successful was it?

For my purposes I have problems with HW, but I still like the system. My problems are mostly to do with implementatiosn of the sub systems, and most/all games have such issues. I will try to resolve some of them as my game progresses.

I look forward to HQ, optimistically.