Re: Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:16:49 +0000

>I'm not so much looking for rules for everything. I'm looking for
>something more than "whimsical phrases". I'm not looking for being
>told "Sunset Leap allows the character to leap x meters per y Ability
>Rating." I'm looking for "Sunset Leap allows the character to leap
>towards the sun," or something. I'm looking for more description.
>Currently, the only way I see of deciding this is to know the prosaic
>origin of this ability of Orlanth.

But Sunset Leap doesn't allow the character to leap towards the sun. It allows the person to Sunset Leap. The name is the entire description - which in this *one* case is very vague, and is why Greg has posted an example of how it could be used to the glorantha.com web site. Hopefully this example (or something similar) will be in HeroQuest which is designed to be much stronger on the examples.

Other than Sunset Leap how many other feats/spells/whatever are there which aren't fairly obvious from the name? The others I've seen mentioned (Decapitate Foe, Sword Breaker, Death Song Berserk) all seem pretty self-explanitory to me.

>The place this falls down for me is that it makes it difficult to
>make reasonable decisions. For example, in real life, I have a
>decent idea how far I can jump, and when faced with something I need
>to jump, I can make a fairly good estimation of my chances of
>success. In order for me to make the same decision for my character,
>I need to either have a) a game mechanical model on which to base my
>decision (i.e. the traditional RPG method), or b) an intimate
>understanding of how such a thing works in the game world's reality.

The game mechanical model DOES support this. How far can you leap with Sunset Leap? Well, you have a base resistance of 14, modified by range and the number of people you are taking with you. Charts are somewhere near the back. The HW mechanics support far more than people seem to be noticing.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson