Re: Foul and personal abuse [was Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]]

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:13:15 +0000

>Maybe it has something to do to with that most of the advice is
>"Do as you f**king please", which as advice in a rules forum
>is really bad. Just because someone want more structure to his
>games than you do, does that make them inept to referee HW? Not
>all of us want games to be extremly freeform, and might not want
>to penalize players who are not very good at inventing stuff
>on the spot.

Hold on a second. How exactly has my advice on this matter been "do as you please"? I've tried to point out how to find the structure in the rules - it is there!

As for games not being freeform and penalizing players who are not good at inventing stuff on the spot, that is not inherent in the rules, and I (and many, many others) have not suggested any such thing. HW *AS A RULES SYSTEM* is perfectly playable on the level of "I use my close combat augmented by my kill things magic and my other kill things magic and my strength to kill the opponent". You want more colour, great! You're happy with that, great! There is also nothing (at all!) to stop you running games with as much structure as you like. Last night I ran a session where every encounter was written down, and the players went through them in strict order. It had stats and everything! We had a blast.

The *ONE* dispute I've seen in all this is that some people want a more detailed description of the "correct" way to interpret feats. In most cases the answer comes down to "Death Song Berserk" involves using the Berserk rules, Singing and Death. All that applies, you get to use it. There is one (and still only one ever gets mentioned) feat where the word "sunset" is a problem - is that merely poetic, or does my feat use have to involve the literal sunset? And in response, Greg posted a wonderful little example showing some possibilities.

Now, it seems to me that certain people (naming no names, and if you think it can't properly be applied to you, then I probably don't mean you) are making up strawman problems, and then complaining for the fun of it. I certainly can't see how either Wulf's or your comments are remotely helpful, although Nick could (and possibly should) have found a more tactful way of saying so.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson