Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:03:06 +0000

Jane says :

>Excellent description, and made it clear to me just
>what the problem is. Telling us to use the Force is
>neither elitist or unhelpful: as long as we are all in
>fact secret Jedi. But for us Bears of Little Brain who
>simply *can't* make stuff up on the spur of the
>moment, it still appears to be both.

I've never seen the problem with this. HW can be played without "making stuff up on the spur of the moment". My (fairly mechanical) methods for running and playing HW run some thing like :

Running :

(1) Hear player's intended action.
(2) Hear ability player plans to attempt said action
(3) Based on ability name and the action, decide whether (a) to allow it,
(b) disallow it, or (c) allow but at a large penalty. (My advice - ignore
improvisation modifiers under -10!)
(4) Look up charts for range, time, no. of targets, and so on modifiers. (5) Roll dice.

Playing :

(1) Decide what I want to do
(2) Desperatly search character sheet for skill name I might be able to use to do that
(3) Tell GM.

Which in the end is pretty much how I approach all games.

Now, for me the hard part is step 3 when GMing and step 1 for playing, but again, this is pretty much true of all games. I'm assuming that people are feeling hard pressed to decide based only a feat name? I find that taking the action first, and the feat name second simplifies this enormously. I've still only heard of two feats which I would decide to take anything other than entirely literally, and only one of those has ever come up in my game.

Perhaps the problem is that people are feeling that they *should* be mythically justifying every use of a feat or whatever. To this I reply, if it's too hard don't bother. Nothing in the rules says you have to. Perhaps the problem is that interestingly describing the fifteenth consecutive loss of 3AP during a combat is hard. But is it really any different from making "I hit with my sword for 5HP damage" interesting?

Hope this is of some help to someone...

Cheers,
Graham

--