Re: Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...> <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:20:44 -0000

> we are not that poetic (well I'm not anyway). But generally
Swordhelp
> of Shield Destroyer is just 'I use X' feat of Y for a +z augment'
and
> if we are feeling creative 'my blade grows black and huge as I
> use...'. We only need to get creative for the more esoteric ones.

The HW book implies in its descriptions, and several have expressed it, that feats can be replications of the gods actions, at some level.

At the simplest level, it is +1/10th augment. But at several times it has also been described as a heroic action beyond mortal physical abilities. Sunset Leap (for eg) has been expressed as a capacity to make larger jumps, up to making godly jumps.

My problem is how do you move from one to the other, and possibly in between. There is no effective mechanic other than storytelling preference. A narrative license such as this is extremely hard for me, and for my players, as we are mechanics (grease and all).

I posted elsewhere that the move from mundane magical (augment) to heroic magical could be triggered by expending a HP, not to bump but simply to move scale (and for one round/action only). That will probably be my answer.

For purposes of the discussion however, it is a shift that is hard to adapt to because there is nothing there to indicate a shift in scale.

As a mechanics player/ex RQ player/compulsive obsessive, to help me move from where I am to a freer style of play (which is what attracts me to HW) I need some transference, I need to get from where I am to where I want to be in HW, but the rules are lacking in their capacity to help me. As they stand I see chasms, and the chasms are hard to get over. Ideally it would be nice to have an article that was mid way, to help the people at one end to move to the other (or even stay in the middle ground if they wish).

HW can be played as a simple augment game, but i feel that is a bit of a waste.