Re: Feats, their description and use

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:43:34 -0000

> "Affinities are magic abilities of a general kind, you ask
> your god to help you with healing or wind or fire or whatever
> area of influence your god has power over.
Fine, IIRC correctly HQ has this kind of info

> Feats are specific magic abilities which relate to mythic
> actions by your deity. You call on your god and try to do
> as the god did in myth.

Sure.

>If the feat seems to support it you may also use it in a simple
>contest during an unrelated action in an extended contest, to try to
>get an advantage.

Hmmm, not entirely how we do it.

A:) In a simple contest, say leaping over a tree, sure a feat has a resistance of 14 or magical ability (+mods) to do 'what it says on the can'.

B:) In an extended contest if you do not use a feat as an augment we allow you to use it as the ability you are making your bid with i.e. I chop his shield away with my Shield Destroyer Feat bidding 20AP (precis for clarity). Now my opponent has to resist with an appropriate ability. The key for us is that we would not just allow you to use Close Combat at no modifier (after all putting your shield in the way is what you would normally do) Your default resistance is 14, you might get CC at a penalty (-20; -40 if your a cruel GM like Greg) or an appopriate affinity. The advantage is that it forces your opponent to use a different defensive ability (an unbreakable shield feat would be handy). The effect is AP loss or gain as with allo other elements of the contest. Don't add seperate simple contests uneccessarily. Sure I would only allow it if the opponent had a shield (and probably only allow it once just to avoid a contest getting dull fast).

I suspect Mark's actual point is that in circumstance A: (or even B:) he does not know what sunset leap lets you do? Teleport? Jump? Only go sunwards? What is an appropriate magical ability for someone else to resist with. The offical answer is 'we want you to decide, make it up, trust in your own creativity, there is no official answer'. Some folks like that, some folks hate that.

Okay let's get practical. Mike how about sending us a list of all the feats you arehaving trouble with deciding what they mean - this group could provide a set of suggested myth fragments that describe what action they relate to - and you can take your pick. Choice is the key, no one is better or worse, it is up to Mike and his gang to pick the version they like for their game (cooler should probably win though Mike) To make the project realistic don't ask the obvious ones, which do what they say on the can, but pick on the Snarl Darkness and Sunset Leaps of the world.