Re: Guess what... another demo-related question

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:32:43 -0400

> If a character takes an Unrelated Action (to augnment an Ability, for
> instance) during combat, must he do it when it's his turn to bid? If
> not, what is his defence or resistance to attack by the opponent, if
> it's the opponent's turn to bid AP? The FAQ seems to suggest the
> opponent just rolls a simple Ability roll, and applies the result,
> which seems a bit nasty, deadly against an opponent with Masteries!
> Also, if he DOES use his bid for an Unrelated Action, can his
> opponent use his Ability to attack, as most Unrelated Actions will
> not involve AP bids. This would then swap active characters.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you are taking an unrelated action, you're busy doing 'something else' that does not concern the conflict at hand directly. You will defend normally, I think. Afterall you are forfeiting your action but not your attention to the battle.

If its an unrelated action, the probably isn't a bid involved. If there is, then they get to resist with whatever seems to be appropriate -- as is always the case.

> I note that one character in the demo has Strong 2W2 (not bad at
> all!), and use of it to augment his Mace Combat is commented on as
> being instant and needing no action.
>
> Wulf

Depends. I'm quite happy having folks use an action to augment -- psyching oneself up, as it were. Others may differ, of course. But Strength can be quite happily treated as an auto-augment -- which may not work out as the hero is 'trying to hard' -- anyone who fights knows what happens if you put too much strength into your swings. Wheee....

Jeff