Re: Re: Feat Use

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:06:44 +0000

At 09:22 19/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Graham Robinson wrote:
> > Nothing I've seen suggests that destroying someone's shield should
>be an AP bid. I'd roll it as an unrelated action. Healing during
>combat has been used as an example before, and provides much the
>same indirect advantage.<
>
>Hi Graham,
>
>I think I disagree - check the three examples in my earlier post
>(unfortunately posted under Digest #) and let me know why you think
>that using a feat directly is not an AP bid.

Okay, I'm being unclear here. Destroying someone's shield *could* be an AP bid, but it doesn't *have* to be. Depends what's going on, personal preference, etc.

So you could run it as :

"I try to break his shield."
<decide bid, roll dice, adjust AP totals> [other side] "I see my friend has no shield, so I throw him mine" <decide size of AP loan, roll dice, adjust AP totals>

or equally :

"I try to break his shield."
<roll unrelated contest, decide whether shield is still usable> [other side] "I see my friend has no shield, so I throw him mine" <roll unrelated contest, decide whether shield is caught or not>

Which I would use depends entirely on the situation. If the shield is an unimportant part of the contest, then its an AP bid. If having a shield or not makes a significant difference to the contest's nature, I'd want to know exactly what happens to it, so I'd make it an unrelated contest. The latter case would be a case where I'd already broken his sword, so if I break his shield too he's defenceless and can either run away or surrender. The unrelated contest in this case is because the outcome cuts down the options my opponent has.

>For us this is a key aspect of HW - using a feat can force your
>opponent to rely on a lower skill.

Absolutely - playing to the opponent's weakness is key to the system.

>I would be interested as to what you make of the way we do it.

My impression is that you have a strong preference for making AP bids. I have a strong preference for simple contests. Again, this is a great strength of the system - different styles get equal support, and are equally valid.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson