Re: Invulnerable foes

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:04:21 +0000

flynnkd2 wrote:

> A player has his sword out and announces a normal attack, 10AP. The
> vampire defends with "Cant be killed". The superior vampire
> obviously wins and inflicts damage back on the attacker... how does
> one rationalise such a result with a skill that is essentially an
> invulnerability... why does it do damage? I can sort of see ways
> but thought it useful to get other comments...

APs are not Hit Points; losing APs does not always mean 'damage'. APs represent the sum of all factors that indicate how well a contestant is doing. For example, consider the following.

psychological factors: the swordsman may have become demoralized as the true power of his opponent becomes apparent.

tactical factors: preoccupied with hewing the vampire, minions of the undead may have moved to surround the swordsman.

fatigue: the swordsman rains blows upon the vampire with little effect except tiring his arms.

consumables: the sword is bent and blunted upon the invulnerable skin of the vampire.

An 'attack' in a contest does not always mean a single action (like a single sword stroke) and the 'defender' is not frozen while the 'attacker' acts. An AP loss by an 'attacker' might indicate a successful counterattack by the 'defender'; the invulnerability may make an otherwise impossible counterattack possible.