Re: Re: Neat idea

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:55:44 +0000

> > I don't think limiting all physical changes to the end of
> > the contest makes sense.
>
>I agree, but that's what the rules dictate.
>
>I think this is a shortcoming in the Extended Contest rules.

The rules don't dictate this at all.

The rules themselves allow for at least three methods for physical changes to occur before contest end :

(1) Swap a 7AP win for a hurt
(2) Take an unrelated action, apply results immediately.
(3) Narrate the physical change, represent it game mechanically as an AP
loss/gain.

Last includes loaning APs.

So losing a spear, being thrown a sword, being hurt, healed, inspired, despairing, etc. etc. can all be part of the AP mechanic. Its really a matter of personal taste.

Some people have suggested extending (1) to provide other methods of making immediate physical changes - breaking shields, etc. Roderick had some excellent rules suggestions for doing so. Personally, I don't see the point - if you want to break a shield and aren't interested in the APs, make an unrelated roll. Pretty much the same effect.

I think part of the problem here is that people are still confused about how APs work. While, most people realise that APs aren't hit points, so losing them doesn't mean you are injured, some people seem to be taking this to the extreme position that AP loss *can't* mean you are injured.

Instead, Hero Wars (and every other game system!) requires you to seperate game mechanics and story. The game mechanics work really simply - choose skill, roll dice, lose/gain APs. Repeat as necessary. At end, decide the long term effects. The story provides all the colour. The only major difference is that in Hero Wars the actions that can cause a change of AP levels are broader, and the story is encouraged more.

As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest that where it makes sense, a 7AP loss should be described the same way you would a hurt.

Perhaps what makes people unsure is the situation where an AP loss drives a character to -12 AP or whatever. You could narrate that as "He smashes his sword down on your leg. You feel the bones breaking, leaving you in a mangled heap on the ground." Some people seem nervous of saying this because when the downed character manages to roll well later to get back to +ve AP (maybe the enemy screwed the coup de grace...) how do you deal with it? Two major ideas spring to mind - "You quickly use your/your follower's magic to heal your leg" and "After the initial shock, you find your leg isn't injured as badly as you thought. In fact, its just a graze."

Hope this helps someone...

Cheers,
Graham

--