RE: Re: Missiles and defending

From: Terry Harvey-Chadwick <terryhc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:54:51 -0000

The archers in question tend to use 35lb bows, with birding blunts, so yes, they are a bit slower than "proper" arrows. However, even at that poundage, and with rubber ends (about 1/2" across at the end) it really hurts if you get shot, and you will get a very big bruise, so you are concentrating VERY hard on keeping your shield in the way of those arrows. Of course, in real life, if you were facing a longbowman or crossbowman, you wouldn't stand much of a chance even with a large shield, as the arrow or bolt would go straight through it and into you. However, I would expect that most of the bows encountered in a game would be of the short, or hunting, variety so most arrows would simply embed in the shield (although you will still want to be very careful of the nasty sharp arrow head sticking through your shield). However, Westerners, and possibly some Lunars, and the Aoleans of Heortland, might use longbows or crossbows.

So yes, there will be exceptions to what I posted previously, but I reckon that most people will do quite well against a single archer using CC & shield.

Terry