Re: Level of Success and Target Numbers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:29:39 -0800

We've had this discussion here before, but I'm game to do it again :-)

> Given: two characters, one with a skill of 17 and the other with a skill
of 2.
> Were the first character to roll a 15 (success), and the 2nd character to
roll
> a 2 (success) under the current Hero Wars rules, the 2nd character would
always
> win the contest, even though that character's skill level is considerably
lower
> than the first. Granted, he would fail more often that not, but in the
event
> of a success, the 2nd character would always win unless the first rolled a
2 or
> 1.

Remember that "Considerably Lower" isn't neccesarily true. To get a "2" ability, you probably have cancelled at least one mastery. The difference between 2w5 and 17w5 isn't all that "considerable". Both are extremely competent people who can eliminate lesser opponents with ease. Only in relation to *each other* is the difference really noticible.

> One proposal was that in the event of an equal level of success, instead
of
> the "lower roll wins," that "the character with the higher skill wins."

There's hardly a need to roll then. Mr 2's chances fall from Slim to Almost None under "Better Skill Wins". Instead of winning almost every time he rolls a Success, he'll basically win almost every time he rolls a Crit.

> Another was that "the roll closest to the target number wins." I haven't
> looked at Pendragon recently, but another friend of mine not at the con
> suggested that those rules work this way.

"Closest to Target number" still breaks down on your 2 vrs 17 example - Mr 2's roll will either be "right on target number" or "Critical", so it will alway beat anything but a 1 or 17 roll. This is the same as "Low Roll Wins" when it comes to mechanics - Mr. 17 still only has 2 chances to tie or beat Mr. 2's roll.

> My question is, has this rule changed at all with HeroQuest, and --
whether it
> has or not, what is the reasoning behind the mechanic?

Nope, it hasn't changed - Low roll still wins. The rule works.

Why did we go with "Low Roll Wins"? Because Mr. 2 needs to win *some* of the time, or those low-number abilities are useless. He is already handicapped by the fact that he won't succeed 90% of the time.

I'm surprised that you didn't suggest "High Roll Wins" - which has effects similar to Highest Skill Wins.

Roderick