Re: HW mechanics

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:01:44 -0000

I've never seen 13th Warrior, but if you mean how, in general, to deal with a shield-breaker manouvre, I intend to use the 7AP=Wound rule. If your stated intention is 'Smash his shield', add your offensive Edge and his defensive, but excluding any non-shield stuff (dodge still works, but Iron Breastplate doesn't, for instance. If the attack gets a 7AP reduction, crack goes the shield. Any AP loss over the 7 still affects the opponent, you can still hurt him while you're hammering his shield. I haven't seen the full armour rules (with all the talk of HW appearing in the UK I hope to get mine Saturday...), but assuming shields have more than one Rank point, you could make each 'wound' reduce the shield by 1. Same applies to 'Shield Breaker' Feats and attacks aimed at 'I'll break his damn leg!' or 'I'll disarm him' - use Wounds.

Wulf