Re: HQ Common Magic question and Augments

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 03:44:51 -0000

> The more I hear about Common Magic (which still isn't a lot, mind
you)
> the less sense it makes to me in game world terms...

Quote:

Common magic is availible to almost everyone as a keyword. The magic is called various things by people such as "Innocent Magic" by the Grazers, "Home Magic" by the Esrolians and "Battle Magic" by the Heortlings. Within the common magic keyword are several magical abilities your hero knows on his character sheet. You must list the specfic common magic ablities your hero konws on your character sheet; he cannot use any others unless he pays the hero points to gain them. Most players have several sources of common mangic. For example, a dara Happan might have several People Talents, a feat and a spell learned from his league and several fetichs from Oria and Lodril, the Great Parents. Players can also select common magic from the basic list, and can specify additional common magic ablities during character creation. All such ablities are selected are a part of his common magic keyword. If the Dara Happan travelled to Dragon Pass and learned a talent from Flesh Man, this would also become a part of the same keyword.

Common magic can includ four types of ablities. First is innate magic, often referrred to simply as talents. Talents originate solely in the MOrtal World, addionally common magic often includes feats, charms and spells.

A common magic ablity can augment (only) any other ablity that matches its description. Thus, a Healing talent, feat, charm or spell can help a mundane first aid ablity or a magical Heal Injury spell. Common magic cannot cause a direct effect, unless the worshippper has concentrated his magic.

> What does it mean (in Gloranthan terms) to be concentrated in Common
> Magic? Are there any previously-known exemplars of such? Is this
> concept being introduced to explain any person or group in
particular,
> that were too different or exotic or tricky to describe before?
> Or are we wandering into "what the heck" game-mechanic-attack
> territory here?

Common magic is a part of the common religion - which is what most people do. I suspect soeone who has concentrated their talents or common magic would be unusual but soeone who has turned away from the Otherworlds or is heavily 'devoted' to the local common religion.

Concentrating the common magic or Innate magic allows the talents and common magics to be actual effects that work on their own rather than just augments.

I suspect the concentration of Common Magic/Talents also is a way to head off the 'how come I can't concentrate my talents.' For all I know, concentration of Innate/Common magic may be a part of a mystic path.

> IIUC, 'talents' are now regarded as being CM rather than Animist;
is
> this just terminology, or are some peoples or individuals previously
> regarded as being animist, now being treated as common-magicians?
> (Or whatever the correct noun would be.) I suppose I could imagine
> say, hsunchen, and/or some martial arts types being looked at this
way.

They just moved the name over to something more appropriate - as you say, a change in terminology. Animists get their abilities based on their spirit buddies, fetishes and charms rather than anything innate.

> But that's just stabbing around in the dark -- anyone provide any
> actual light?

Can't do much more than that without typing in the entire common magic section.

Jeff