Re: Digest Number 54

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:08:39 -0000

> Regarding shield breaking, etc: It seems to me far
> simpler to treat this with AP points

<snip perfectly relevant example of doing so> Yes, but to my mind a definite, fixed-result action (break shield, break leg, disarm, etc.) should have a definite result. Maybe it's just me, but I like to KNOW when I've achieved a desired result, not rely on an arbitrary referee's decision (and likewise as a ref myself, I try always to give players prior knowledge of how to succeed at things the characters have probably achieved many times before, and know exactly how to do).

> throwing sand in the opponents face, disarming them,
> diving for your own sword on the floor, locking hilts
> then smashing his nose in with your other fist sort of
> thing that they love in the movies. I don't think you
> need special rules for Zorro to cut the "Z" in his
> opponents shirt, it is still an AP bid.
I'd call almost all of those Unrelated Actions...

> At least, that is how I look at it. It's all part of
> the fight. Avoiding all sorts of fiddly detail
> special case rules will let the fight run fast and
> furious, hopefully.

I really don't see why anyone considers using the Wound rules is a 'special' action, it's already in the rules, I'm just using it more often.

Wulf