Re: Group simple contests

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:43:40 -0700

Well, you *could* wait until HQ comes out with an entirely different "Group Simple Contest" mechanism which has nothing to do with the current version (see below), but assuming you need to know *now*, because you have a game to run tonight...

> If your group is fighting a group of generic nomads with combat
> skill 10w, then obviously they roll vs that.
>
> But what if that group is being lead by a warrior of 10w2, what do
> the players roll against?

Side A has One Leader with 10w2, and 10 warriors with 10w Side B (Our Heroes) have ability levels all over the map, let's say 17, 10w, 15w, and 1w3

Compare Side A's masteries to the best ability rating of Side B for bumping Compare Side B's masteries to the best ability rating of Side A for bumping

In this case, Side A gets no bumps, while the lucky person on Side B gets 1 bump.

So the actual rolls are:
Side A: 11 x 10
Side B: 17, 10, 15 and 1w.

That 17 sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't it? Doesn't seem right does it? But it is - in an extended contest his opponent would have gotten a bump up from a mastery, but since all masteries are compared to the *best* ability on the opposing side, he doesn't.

Remember, this is supposed to be a quick & dirty guesstimate of a non-dramatic contest - if it were more important, you'd run a Extended contest.

> Do you pick the best singles on either side and set the values
> there? If there is a significant difference between the leaders and
> followers then the largest group would be at a disadvantage as they
> would get more failures (each failure giving -3).
>
> In my player group the Issaries trader would fail as he has no where
> near the combat skills, so would drag the party down?

No, because we don't have Bump-Downs in HeroWars. Unless he is in the low digits of a mastery (3w or the like), and gets his mastery eliminated, he should be okay.

> Likewise if you had a sorceror they would prefer to use magic skill,
> but vs who or what in the other party? What if the party is lead by
> a sorceror but the enemy is lead by a warrior? would it be resolved
> as:
>
> Sorceror with magic vs ?
> Party warriors with CC vs ?
> Enemy leader with CC vs ?
> Enemy followers with CC vs ?

It doesn't matter what he's facing except for Mastery elimination, which is based on the best ability on the other side. You are simply counting the result of the die rolls: Criticals, Successes, Failure and Fumbles. These are found by comparing the Die Roll to the Ability Rating, not to another Die Roll.

> Another method I tried was to use the best single of either side and
> let the rest augment that person, then roll as a simple contest.

That's another, perfectly reasonable, way to do it.

HeroQuest uses an entirely different method for Simple Group (see the GTA handouts). Basically, the Highest Ability rating goes first, choosing a target from the other side. They have a Simple contest, and one of them is out of the fight. Then the next highest ability rating chooses a target, and *they* have a simple contest. Repeat as necessary.

So in our fight above, 1w3 would go first, followed by 10w2 (assuming she didn't target him and take him out to begin with), then 15w, then all the 10w's (probably let the Hero go first) finally the 17.

Hope this helps,
RR
- Richelieu