Re: Inspired use of a Simple Contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:49:51 -0700

> This won't be news to many of the long-term readers here, but as an
> example of how to cut long stories short, it may help people new to
> the HW system.

[Snip great example]

> I just love the way HW can be used to handle any *size* of situation
> in one simple roll!

Yep. Heck, Battles or entire campaigns can be done as a single roll:

Battle of Iceland.
King Broyan: Inspire Orlanthi to Foolish heights of Folly 4w3 (plus all sorts of mods for units involved, lack of magic, cold, etc.) Halfmoon General Urtherion Tashkeveth: Look Good to Superiors While Putting Down Minor Tribal Rebellion: 2w2 (plus mods).

Argrath's Invasion of the Lunar Empire
Argrath: Rightful Vengeance Against Oppressive Regime: 10w4 (plus mods) Lunar Emperor: We Have No Weapons Of Mass Destruction: 10w4 (plus mods)

Roll away.

We win! Yay!
We lost! Boo!

Meanwhile, the really important news, your intrepid band of heroes has found a baggage train guarded only by a kitchen slave and a girl...

RR
- Richelieu