Soldier of the Mist and Slaine

From: scopir <scopir_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:01:36 -0000

     This is my first post to this group, and I could not figure out where my reply went! I am commenting on Theo's thread about Soldier of the Mist, versus an ancient Celtic game. I've been thinking about this myself, and I may have some ideas of interest.

     First off, all the ancient invaders of Ireland came from Spain. The Tuatha de Danann came specifically from four cities in Spain. The Greeks called the people of Spain "Caledonians", and centuries later, the Romans called the british Picts caledonians as well.

     Also, the ancient Irish are recorded as being harassed in the Mediterranean by Philistines. The bronze age Greeks coverted from a goddess centered theology to a pantheon of gods when Chronos slew Uranus, the primal chaos god. The Tuatha de Danann, (the people of the goddess Danu), odviously held to there goddess worship. Perhaps they were persecuted by the other mediterranean cultures.

     I have been thinking about a primordial earth campaign, where the Ice Age still covers northern Europe. The greeks worship the Titans, and the celts are still in Spain, thus caledonians. The northern plains of europe are still under glaciers, or permafrost, and suitable only for hunter gatherer animist societies.

     Nomadic and pastoral tribes like picts, finns and horse nomads would live there, but huge tracts of the north would be ruled by other races. The fibolg and other orc tribes would be enemies, as would the many tribes of trolls, Fomorians, Jotuns, ect.