Re: I've got my copy!!!!!!!

From: K. Paul McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:23:32 -0400

Hey Folks,

I got my HW Deluxe today also. The store, Games Galore in Cary NC, said that they have been getting a lot of inquiries about it. "It must be the internet." Said the clerk. :) I got the feeling that if I had dragged my feet getting down there they might have sold it out from under me! <laugh>

The Positive Side - The game looks well written, exciting, and fun. The book of short stories made a nice addition, and should help settle folks into Glorantha. Which is a good thing, because...

The Negative Side - <sigh> The times sure have changed. You're gaming dollar as apparently shrunk considerably.

The maps were quite a let-down after Deluxe Runequest - and that wasn't a difficult act to follow. There was a map of the world (very similar to the world map at www.glorantha.com, only black and white) and a weak map of Dragon Pass. The DP/Prax maps from RQ 2nd ed. were much nicer. There are no maps of the various regions of Genertela. This was no surprise, because...

There was *very* little Genertelan info at all (something like two pages worth). OK, so Issaries is going to publish a separate product for that, but jeeze! Would it have hurt to have a *little* something as a teaser? I am not sure that I could start a game with what is included in "Deluxe" HW. Deluxe Runequest was *much* more playable, IMHO. Heck! Even some detail just on Dragon Pass would have been useful for a starting player group.

If you still have the books from Deluxe RQ, then you should do fine. If, like me, you lost them a while back then you are in trouble. I am trying not to worry while thinking about the regional maps condensed down to trade paperback size for the upcoming Genertela book. I would pay good money for large colorful maps of the various cultural regions, you know?

-KP