Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:06:47 -0000

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve. For example in my game, one character was trying to persuade a Troll acquantance to whom said troll had sold a valuable artifact. I ruled that since the transaction was made in confidence, he'd have to get a Complete Victory for the Troll to actualy give him name, address, etc of the person with the goods. Lesser levels of succes would give progressively more obscure levels of co-operation from the troll. The character achieved a Major Success, and the troll agreed to send a message to the owner of the artifact, who it turns out was easily followed by one of the adventurers.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to require a certain level of success in order to get exactly the effect the player wants. In some cases I'd give a player everything they wanted on a Marginal success, in others I don't.

Simon Hibbs