Re: Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:44:19 +0100

writes
>I still have problems with some of the affinities used as actual
>actions, like Decapitate Foe. For the time being I allow them to use
>the affinity as a physical attack, augmented by their combat skill,
>and if they drive their opponent to -31 in the one attack then the
>head flies off and blood gushes everywhere. Not the easiest of
>tasks, and not really of any value unless you specifically need to
>Decapitate someone, like a vampire, which to me seems the way it
>should be.
>
>Sword and shield breaker are other affinities that are hard to come
>to grips with and for now I assign AP values to swords and shields
>(7xvalue)and let them go for it, if they drive the sword to 0 it
>breaks.

One thing you can try doing is to set an AP value - any blow of the right sort that does that amount of AP allows the use of the feat to be attempted as an out of sequence effect, as a simple contest (no more AP are bid, etc.), in exchange for not doing the AP "damage" to their opponent.

That is, you mimic the rules for doing "-1" wounds for 7AP.

I only allow this for when the PC is the "attacker" in the contest. For instance I have a Yinkini who, on succeeding with a 7AP+ attack with "claw and bite" gets a chance to attempt a paralysing bite versus their opponents tough or the like for 7AP.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...