Simplified mechanics for Convention Games

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:07:53 +1000

Heys folks

I'm presently putting finishing touches to a ducks and baboons module for Scotscon, and am looking at possibilities for alternative/simplified game mechanics for a fairly humourous game with LARPish tendencies.

After initial conversations with Rory and Stewart (thanks heaps guys), I've come up with the following. I'd be interested in feedback as to whether it seems appropriate, and also in hearing from people who've run Gloranthan LARPs for their experiences with game mechanics. I don't want to be too prescriptive, but want to give narrators and players some options to choose from. I also have a growing respect for differences in national gaming cultures.

The module background and some sample character sheets are available at:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/DvB/

Here's the present mechanics draft...

Alternative Mechanics

A comedy module like this on depends a lot on spontaneity and momentum, and this usually means minimal or no mechanics or dice rolling. Violence should have a comic book flavour. I'd recommend reserving dice rolls for crucial moments and key outcomes, and sticking to simple contests at all times.

There are a couple of options available to simplify game mechanics.

The Quak Attak Twak / Baboon Attack Track on each character sheet is basically a table for hit points. It reflects how tough the baboons are in comparison to the deadlier but more vulnerable ducks.

The track has values from a maximum of 6 down to 0 (cactus). If you hit 1 you're dazed, and likely to consider your cultural imperative of 'wun away!'
(ducks) or 'form a defensive circle' (baboons) respectively. If you hit 0
you're 'cactus', and out of it for the episode, nothing more, nothing less.

By way of comparison, the respective hit points are:

The Baboons - Utta Rutta 6, H'eer 5, S'eah 5, Sp'eek 4, Mooner 4.

The Ducks - Hobbs 4, Pondzilla 4, Quackbeth 3, Wedcwest 3, Dodger 3.

If you're using dice, roll a Simple Contest. A victory means your opponent loses a point. A special victory will take 2 points from your opponent, a fumble will cost you a point.

If the baboons form a defensive circle, only a special victory will break their defensive wall, but they cannot attack.

The Gummy Lolly Hero Points Option

As an alternative to Hero Points, you might use the gummy lolly option. Each team gets a packet of gummy lollies at the beginning of the scenario - preferably 'snakes', 'worms' or 'bugs'. Anything edible will do, though if you use bulk Mars Bars make sure your players have health insurance. Give them to Pondzilla (mumma duck) and H'eer (head baboon) for distribution to the other players as they see fit.

These gummy candies are hero points. In general bids they go to the Narrator for consumption or recycling. In duck vs baboon combat, your opponent gets to eat them, but not recycle them. And if you just eat them cause you're a gamer and need your sugar, well ain't life a bitch.

The Rock/Paper/Scissors Combat Option

A theatrical alternative to dice rolling in duck/baboon combat.

  1. Opponents face off.
  2. Opponents threaten each other and gesticulate with dwead warcries, chest beating or other epigamic displays.
  3. Option to retreat/wun away, in which case the retreater automatically loses a hit point.
  4. Throw down your hero point gummies (if applicable).
  5. Opponents play 'rock, paper, scissors'. Scissors beats paper beats rock beats scissors.
  6. The Defeated party loses a hit point on the attack twak. If either party has an unmatched mastery or hero point, their opponent loses a hit point.

(Example: Dwead Quackbeth with a Close Combat of 8w tackles Mooner with a
Close Combat of 16.
Both wager two gummie hero points. Mooner wins the rock, paper, scissors exchange, and so Quackbeth loses a hit point. However, Quackbeth has an unmatched mastery, so poor Mooner also loses a hit point).

7. Eat all bid gummies.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

"I bleach. In time I shall bleach that garment you are wearing. For I take the colour out of all things. Thus you see these stuffs here, as they are now.
Clotho spun the glowing threads, and Lachesis wove them, as you observe, in curious patterns, very marvellous to see: but when I am done with these stuffs there will be no more colour or beauty or strangeness anywhere apparent
than in so many dish-cloths."....