Wounds (grievous and otherwise) in HeroQuest

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:01:58 -0000

While Real Life has got in the way of me finishing HeroQuest yet, I can't find anything in their concerning the old HeroWars rule of a 14 AP loss automatically confering a -1 and the option to convert a 7 AP loss into a -1. I found the latter a particularly handy tool as a GM when Players were going through a phase of getting marginal defeats - by choosing to wound them rather than "finish them off" I was able to keep the contest to continue long enough for them to (struggle to) obtain victory, without the "bad guys" having to suddenly make very wimpy rolls. The fact that they could see the -1 having an effect meant they still got some dramatic tension out of the contest too...