Re: sorcerous spell outcome

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:41:30 -0700

>I�m currently preparing a non Gloranthan fantasy adventure and have some
>problem with sorcerous magic.
>How do you handle spells like RQ Haste ?
>As i see it, the magic gives you a bonus to your quickness related skills.
>But how much ?(full spell rating ?, a quarter of it ?)
>And how do you handle various level of success ?
>I dont get much information about that topic from HeroWars.

Use the rules for Augmenting (pp 79-80). Take the Auto Augment (1/10th Spell's Ability rating), or roll for it. Basically, any time you think a spell/other magical ability gives a bonus to another ability, it's an Augment.

Of course, you could also allow the spell to give a stand-alone ability of "Run Fast" (or whatever) if the user doesn't happen to have a quickness related ability to augment. I might say: Resistance =14 for a "Run Fast" Spell. Higher resistance or a penalty to the ability if it's not that specific. A generic "Speed" spell that you use to speed up reflexes in a fight, then to boost your running speed, then your reading speed, etc. would get a hefty penalty/resistance. Then check your level of victory:
Complete Victory = Use Spell Ability Rating as your "Run Fast" rating Major Victory = 50% Spell rating as "Run Fast" Minor Victory = 10% Spell rating as "Run Fast" Marginal Victory = Run Fast 1
You'll probably want to keep a Hero Point handy to get at least a Major Victory...
(you'll note that this is basically the Contest Consequences table, with Victory instead of Defeat).

RR
- Richelieu