Re: Self-sacrifice contests: successful but wounded

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:33:47 -0700

Mikael Raaterova

>I've been thinking about situations where the hero can succeed but
>still be injured or suffer a drawback, and mechanics for handling
>such situations. I'd be delighted to hear how people have solved it
>mechanically.

One idea that pops to mind is some sort of "pre-wounding" (like the pre-healing of dragonewts). In exchange for some sort of consequence, you'd get a bonus for the contest. Perhaps if you agree to be Hurt afterwards, you get a +10 (since -10 AP = Hurt on the Contest Consequences chart). If you are willing to be Injured, you get +30. Despite the bonus, you might still roll badly, and could suffer additional consequences if you lose.

(The wound isn't actually suffered in advance -- you don't take a -50% Injury penalty until after the contest.)

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html