Re: simple contest outcome

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:17:04 +0200

Toksickburn_at_... wrote:
>Simple contest table - spellcasting:
>i fail my roll, the resistance too
>outcome: marginal success for low roll
>
>How can that be?
>I see the logic for other actions but not for spellcasting.
>If i fail my roll to cast a spell, i fail, whatever the resistance achieved,
>right ?

No. The spell fails to do exactly what you want it to do, the spell itself need not have failed.

If your intention is to throw a lightning bolt that fries your esteemed opponent, a marginal success might mean that he only was slightly hurt, having cast himself out of the way, or invoked the protection of his ancestral spirits, or whatever ability he defended himself with.

--
Henrix