RE: Question about non-humans and Puma People

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 05:34:12 +0100

Dave quotes Stephen:

> Well, in most cases magical abilities of ANY kind are common
> magic. The _exception_ is innate magical abilities, which are
> not.

OK, and the glossary makes it look like this was intended, even though it contradicts "Common Magic" on p.104. My problem is then with HQ p.108's list of what your hero loses when you concentrate your magic.

Concentrate Innate Magic: "He retains only his talents"; there's no mention that he also retains "innate magic (which isn't a talent)".

Concentrate any other kind of magic: "Your hero must give up all knowledge of talents"; it's not specifically stated that "innate magic (which isn't a talent)" is retained, which is odd in such a picky section.

Quick fix to p.108 (proposed additions in square brackets):

Concentrating Innate Magic: "He retains only his [innate magic and] his talents."

Concentrating any other kind of magic: "He retains [only his innate magic and] his (affinities, charms, scriptures, etc.)."

Might help to give examples of "innate magic (not talents)," specifically mentioning that (a) this is what Puma People's shapechanging is, and (b) any hero can define his "unique" magical abilities as innate magic (i.e. *not* lost on concentrating magic), not just as talents, feats, charms or spells (cf. p.29).

Cheers, Nick