Re: HQ devotee feats

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:12:56 -0700

> This just came up on the french glorantha list: Under HQ, if you
> start as a devotee (spending 3 of your 20 starting improvement
> points), how many feats do you get?
>
> Under HW the answer was: all of them. In the character creation part
> of HQ it doesn't say. In HQ f you become a devotee in play you get
> three feats per affinity "free." So the two likely answers seem to
> be: all of them, or 3/affinity.

This was just discussed by HQ FAQ Committee.

My solution:

If the player describes the hero as "A new devotee of X", then give him the "new Devotee" 3 feats per affinity.
If the Player describes the hero as "A 20-year veteran Devotee of X" then give him all of them.
Otherwise, negotiate.

Since a Devotee pretty much has to concentrate his magic and give up Common Magic entirely, *I* have no problem giving almost anyone (except that brand-new devotee) all the feats. But some players, and some narrators, have other ideas.

Another idea put forward by to the committee was to give as many feats as the Hero had "Advanced Experience" Keyword pluses. Frex, Hengal has 6 points to put towards his Keywords (Advanced Experience in the Narrating Chapter), so he would also get 6 additional Feats.

Another option would be to buy the whole set of feats in one affinity for 1 HP/Creation Point. Affinites not "bought up" in this way would have the 3 feats like a new Devotee.

My comment to the FAQ committee was "Don't make a rule about it, but instead give suggestions of how to handle it. Keep Big Gub'mint out of Hero Creation"

RR
- Richelieu