Re: Actual Play

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:41:26 -0700

> >* The PCs captured the Heroformer. I thought it might be cool to run a
> >Heroquest where they bring their captive with them and he plays the
> >role of Heracles. It seems like an interesting thing to do with a
> >captive, force him into a heroquest in the hopes that his injuries
> >will make him do poorly and thus give you an advantage. I'm not sure
> >if I should allow people to be forced into Heroquests though.
> >Opinions?

> Well, it has happened and, I think, happens often (relative to the number
of
> HQs performed). I'll have to see if I can find any specific sources.

It depends on the type of HQ - a Practice Quest would be like the Biturian Varosh example from Cults of Prax - all the action takes place in the mundane world. This is eminently do-able, and practiced pretty widely ("Practice quests are often performed with some or all of the opponents supplied in advance" - Practice Quests, p.191)

I'd be leery of allowing players to take their own enemies into the otherworld/godplane, unless the myth being enacted specifies that the Hero brought his enemy along with him on his journey, which is probably pretty rare as a myth-type, except for one major example - "Okay Heracles-guy, you're going to take the part of Eurmal..." The enemy will probably try to disrupt the quest form the very beginning - I'd give penalties to trying to Cross Over (it probably won't be enough to prevent the crossing over if the Heroes have lots of community support behind them).

If the Myth specifies that the Hero "met" his enemy, then dragging that enemy along from the beginning is myth-breaking, and something *will* go wrong - You'll probably meet with the "real" enemy at full strength during your journey (as well as certain events not taking place, or events taking place that aren't in the myth). You're straying into the "Make your own Myth" territory of Arkat or Harrek. Or you have set up conditions to meet someone else's HQ - instead of the normal "Crossing the River of Rainbows" event, the characters are attacked by Elves on a "Destroying the the Human Beast" quest enacting their climactic moment, when they meet up with a party of Forest-enemies and slaughter them.

RR
- Richelieu