Re: How to treat awakened objects

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:28:34 +0200

Bryan :

> This isn't really an HQ question, other than that some of the new HQ
> rules may guide the answers. It actually dates back to Thuner Rebels.
>
> The secret of some of the craft cults is to awaken the daimone of the
> object they are making. But what does that daimone do?

Generally speaking, my impression is that HQ encourages the following answers :

  1. Whatever the player wants
  2. Whatever the Narrator wants
  3. Some sensible combination of 1) and 2)
  4. --->

> Another is that they have one ability, named after the object,
> so "cup 17" or "boat 15" and they use it only to resist anything that
> would stop the object from being what it is. I.E. the cup daimone
> would keep the cup from being broken, the boat daimone would also
> keep the boat from sinking, because boats are supposed to float.

... except that the cup and boat abilities could be used actively and/or to augment the user's abilities : for instance, a cup could be used to drink uz beverages more efficiently, or whatever ; a boat would add a +n auto-augment to a character's sailing skills.

Check out Galan's Ironbone sword in HQ pp. 22-23, although this particular item contains a spirit not a daimon.

> Another is to say they have one ability, and a might,

Actually an ability rating, to be pedantic, but why limit yourself to just one ability ? I guess much would depend how many HPs or CPs you spend on the item, and the nature of the daimon you're calling (Gustbran worshippers can for instance craft an item with help from a farmer, and make a farm implement with a Barntar daimon inside, or whatever).

> Any comments, thoughts, other ideas? If it matters, I'm mostly
> thinking of how to treat an awakened object as a retainer. I'd
> really love to be able to specify a gloomy boat, a snobbish cup, or
> whatever, but I don't see that working out, rules-wise.

Why not ?

Spend an extra HP, write down the extra ability.

Easy.

Remember : HQ not HW !!!

:-)

Julian