RE: liturgists like it small!

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:49:06 -0400

Oliver said:
>I would say that pretty much any religious place would benefit from its
>construction/set-up, even the temple-less Heortlings. The way the priests
>stand, the songs they sing, etc. all add bonuses to the person casting the
>magic. Greek temples were built to exacting specifications as I'm sure
>probably every holy place might be.

        Sure, but I imagine that Westerners (and wizardry users in general) tend to be more calculating and engineering about it. The theist sacrifices to the deity, asks for sighs, calls on friendly local daemones, and gets the answer to where and when to build the temple. The animist asks the spirits, performs rituals to find or make thin places in the barrier to the Spirit world, looks for locations tied to the kinds of spirits they deal with, etc. The wizardy user, on the other hand, although maybe guided by saints, will rely a lot more on calculation and planning.

        Think of it, and ancient brotherhood of masons going back to ancient Seshnela. They learned some of their lore form the dwarves, some from saints, some from the ancient pagan earth-worshippers. During the age of the Middle Sea Empire, they refused to share their secrets with the Godlearners, and the Chief Architect was cruelly betrayed and murdered....

Peter Larsen