Re: liturgists like it small!

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:28:19 -0500

>From: "BEThexton" <bethexton_at_...>
>
>So, liturgists get total support from their congregation, but suffer
>the normal multiple target penalties.
>
>If you look at the tables, the multiple target penalties go up MUCH
>faster than do the support bonusses. For example, four people gives
>+2 -9 = -7 total. 500 people gives +20 -80 = -W3 total!
>
>This suggests that big cathedrals don't give useful blessings, oddly
>enough. More generally, you need a pretty good ability to give out
>much of a blessing even on a dozen people (say a few heroes and their
>followers....).
>
>Maybe this was intentional, but the way the book phrases it suggests
>that these should be kind of even. So I'd be inclined just to house
>rule it and say that there are no multiple target penalties, but
>maybe still allow community support, because big gatherings do seem
>like they should be more potent that small ones.

Consider the augments available from other sources than the community. Are there other liturgists there (or deacons), giving support? Did the character use his Oratory to prepare a good sermon? And isn't there a bonus for the consecrated hall? Sure outside it's harder. Lots of ways to make up those differences, though. And remember, again, that the largest congregations will have the best Liturgists. The PC starting off at 5w I would have as an aide to another liturgist with a 1w2. That's probably the minimum for a competent "pastor". I forget what levels the examples give, but does that hold together at all? Anyhow, the starting PC is probably only good enough to bless his traveling companions.

Oh, also, remember that he can do multiple ceremonies. So if you have a congregation of 2000, and hall that only holds 250, you'll be doing 8 services. But they'll each be much easier (especially because you'll likely have all the augments for each). Anyway, I like how it works currently.

Mike

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon