Re: Re: Repeating heroquests

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:08:00 +0100

>And it seems to me that you could also do the "in the temple" kind of
>heroquest to end a drought, yes?

I reckon lots of practice quests occur "in the temple". There's a good description in KoS.

> i.e. if a tribe has the "Freeing of Heler"
>holiday, their annual worship service might provide heroquesty benefits to
>fight drought. Ordinarily, I suppose this would just be subsumed into their
>guardian's abilities, but in a year with a bad drought, I suppose they could
>pump up the church service (spend more on sacrifices, bring in a
>high-powered god-talker, etc.), and run an actual contest of their community
>against the drought.

Sounds good to me.

>BTW, just to make sure I'm clear on this--it seems to me that there are four
>levels of heroquest:
>
>* "Practice" quests (in the mortal world)
>* Worship quests (part of the temple service)--I don't remember exactly what
>they're called
>* Full-on heroquests in the hero plane
>* Quests into the GodWorld (mentioned, but not covered, in HQ)

Right. I reckon "worship" covers the second level nicely.

>HQ says that you can't repeat hero-plane heroquests, but you *can* repeat
>practice and worship quests. How about quests to the GodWorld? Can you
>repeat those? I'd expect "no", since (how to put this?) the GodWorld is even
>more "archetypal" than the Hero Plane. But the rules don't say...

Well, a worship "quest" takes place partly on the God world, so you can repeat them to an extent. But the point of a worship service is to reinforce your bond to your god. Not to make changes. The top level "God World" quest is different. The aim there is to change the gods themselves to include yourself in the pantheon. i.e. To become a hero. You get one chance at that - the penalty for failure ain't pretty. Maybe you could do it again, if your followers can find enough you to resurrect.

>BTW, were Harmast's LB quests (and Argrath's, etc.) in the Hero Plane, or in
>the GodWorld?

HeroPlane.

> I'd *assume* that Argrath's was in the God World (freeing
>Sheng from Lunar Hell means tackling their gods full on), but, of course,
>KoS pre-dates the new HQ rules.

I don't think so. Sheng was placed in a lunar hell by lunar heroquesters - they blocked his soul escaping to his normal otherside.

>(Perhaps Argrath's "quest within a quest" was at a higher level? That is, he
>did the LBQ on the hero plane, and asked the gods for Sheng as his reward.

I don't think you get to ask for a reward from the LBQ in that sense. The universe supplies. I reckon Argrath only asked for "someone to defeat the Lunars". Getting Sheng just proves the universe (or Greg) has a twisted sense of irony.

This is getting awfully speculative and deep. Maybe we should take it to the GD?

Cheers,
Graham