Re: Do the rules determine the nature of Glorantha?

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:26:18 -0000

I think Roderick has already given the short answer, but I'd like to put my own two-cents in to address your point about presentation and consistency in non-HQ specific venues (did I just write that? Man...)

After reading (and very occasionally adding to) years of debate about "one-true Glorantha" etc... I would suggest that the sort of consistent approach you are suggesting is just what HQ is trying to get away from. If you go to a con and sit in on a D&D whatever edition session, you are going to get a fairly uniform experience. (US specific cultural reference warning) It's like eating at Shoney'syou  can stop at one in Rhode Island or in California, and you are going to get the same meal, and the comfort of the familiar. HQ is designed around the idea that each game is going to be different depending on who is narrating and who is playing. Its like eating regional dishes at a small roadside diner - you don't know exactly what it will be until you start, and every time there is a bit of a risk.

The problem, of course, is that this might limit the appeal of HQ if a person sits in on a game at a con and they don't like the approach of that narrator, or they might be confused by sitting in on more than one game. The trade-off is a real diversity that allows for a million different Gloranthas.

I guess I'm just tired of Shoneys...

Gerald