Re: Re: just a couple of quick questions..

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:26:27 -0700

> > > Not sure what happens if you "obtain" a Grimoire that is already
> > linked
> > > or whether it is a personal link that is required per Grimoire.

The Grimoire is linked to the OtherWorld Node. This allows the Grimoire to be used as a talisman. This need only be done once, when it is written.

The adept is attuned to the Grimoire. This attunement allows *him* to use the Grimoire as a Talisman to cast spells. Any number of people may be attuned to the same physical Grimoire. (Think of the huge chained-to-the-table type books).

> > I think there must be a personal element, since 2 wizards can have
> > talismans linked to the same spell, but one wizard can't have 2
> > talismans linked to the same spell (or one talisman linked twice)
> >
> > > In other words can they be nicked and used.
> > > Or would that require extensive research etc before you could
> > establish
> > > your own personal link ?
> >
> When you create your own personal Grim you copy it off someone
> elses... so you must be able to use a 'found' grimoire (assuming it
> wasnt heretical) by copying it...

Yes, you can use a found Grimoire. You first need to research the code it is written in (Spend HP to learn the proper Use [Grimoire] ability) (pg 165). You must also attune it before use; to attune yourself to a Grimoire, you have to open a Portal of Power to the correct node (Instructions for reaching the correct node are part of the Grimoire) (pg 163).

> As for linking it to the power source, ya you probably need
> support... but what about sorcerors who are out there by themselves,
> some of them must add grimoires, or lose their grims, and have to re-
> connect... and they dont have any help? So does this mean all
> sorcerors are enormously powerful, or that the process doesnt
> require breaking the barrier to do?

You must create a Portal of Power to attune a Grimoire. It's a 10w6 resistance; most people can't do it by themselves (pg 163). You can try to find a Powerspot or Holy spot, and use all the Ritual Modifiers you can find, however. Most independent Sorcerers are probably going to be pretty good at "Create Portal of Power". They'll probably spend extra HP on a new Use [Grimoire] ability before actually attuning a found one (at least enough to get it to 15, so they have a +2 augment to their Portal roll).

> And could you have a spare grimoire, copied but not connected,
> waiting back in your temple? A grimoire is just a book to start
> with, so it can be copied many times (all those nakid duck monks
> slaving away, 'a quill, a quill, a kingdom for a quill'). Only after
> blessing and linking does it become something else. ??

Sure. It's just not any use to anyone until linked to the Founder's Node. (And do you *really* trust your bretheren not to steal it while you're out gallivanting?)

RR
- Richelieu