Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:30:05 +0100

>wrote:
>> >It just seems odd doing a contest and then having a preemptive
>strike
>> >make it all meaningless.
>>
>> I wouldn't let the cavalry officer player do that because it would
>> invalidate the contest. ...
>
>Not at all. The cavalry officer is thill an independent characetr
>with free will, if he wants to switch abilities and push past, or
>even attack the soldier he's free to do so. However the current AP
>situation remains, only the abilities the characters are using and
>their notional goals have changed.

My feeling is that in this case allowing a simple switch would invalidate the contest. It ignores the current position and allows the cavalry man to have a strong chance of winning the contest simply through his horse's muscle making the earlier part pretty much irrelevant.

My general philosophy for contests is that the narrative description is primary - the rules are there to provide an mechanical system which supports and gives direction to the narrative. Ability switches are fine provided they make sense within the context of the narrative. I don't think that this particular switch does because of the nature of the contest and because the narrative must take into account the weak position of the cavalry officer (invoking "free will" as a reason for ignoring that is equivalent to - say - insisting that a merchant who is losing a bargaining contest can call on his guards to expel his opponent without any justification).

If the cavalry man had simply decided to ride across at the start then that would be fine - it's not the ability I object to, it's just that I believe that the switch of ability IN THIS CASE does not take adequate account of the state of the contest.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.