Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:31:14 -0000

> Player: "Can I use my sword attack and charge him?"
> Narrator: "Sure, but given the short distance and narrow confines,
> you don't get the augments for your horses `strong' rating, but you
> still get it for its `large.' What is your bid? Player 2, what
will
> you defend with?"
> Player 2: "I want to stand up to him, and tell him we'll both end
up
> in the river."
> Narrator: "So, what skill are you using?"
> Player 2: "Ummm, could that still be `swear like a trooper' or
> maybe `brave?'"
> Narrator: "I'll let you get an auto-augment from brave for your
> swear if you want."
> Player 2: "Great!"

This doesn't work. During the cavalry guy's action phase he's riding down the trooper. The trooper must resist this with an ability appropriate to resisting being rode down. IMHO 'Swear Like a Trooper' will not stop a charging horse.

During the Cavalry guy's action phase he determines the abiulity he's using and the effect he's trying to achieve with it, and the trooper must resist appropriately.

Cavalry Guy: "I charge using my Ride Horse ability, bidding 20 APs." Trooper: "I resist using my Stand Fast ability".

During the trooper's phase he determines the ability he's using (Swear like a Trooper) and the effect he's trying to achieve, and the cavalry guy must defend appropriately.

Trooper: "I call into question your manhhod so you slink away like a cur using my 'Swear Like a Trooper' abilit, bidding 10 APs". Cavalry Guy: "I resist your insinuations with my Bloody Minded ability."

These happen side-by-side, but you can't actualy defend against a charging horse using only harsh language.

Simon Hibbs