Stacking Magic

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:56:19 -0000

Why does it take 1-5 mins to cast a second spell, and why 1 to 5? Why only 3 spells limit?

This part of the rules just seems so completely arbitrary, like it has been stuck in there to quickly solve an issue that became obvious.

To me it would have been better to say:

"Stacking magical effects has complex requirements that make it impractical for it to be done during a contest. It may be done prior to a contest if the GM rules you have time. Required time would be 5 mins."

That doesnt solve the issue of 3, why 3? In HW we (my group) ruled that you could only stack one spell from each Rune (affinity), which meant 3 for most people. But then my players started stacking each other with the various runes they had... I could see it getting a bit out of hand.

I dont mind the resulting effect, I am just interested in what is special about 3? And why spells from different worlds would impede each other... why cant you have 3 from Wizards, 3 from Humakt and 3 from a Shaman? (potentially)