Re: 13th Warrior

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 13:47:54 +0200 (CEST)

I think we've got different tastes in movies :)

On Fri, 19 May 2000 david.boatright_at_... wrote:

> >I wouldn't bother. Lousy movie. Lousy fight scenes, lousy plot,
>
> Movie battle all seem to have taken the approach of Battle is
> chaos. Take a look at the battle ath the start of Gladiator.

Yeah, but it was too dark. One thing is chaos, but since it is a movie I think one should see what is going on. A creepy fight scene in the dark is ok. But a movie battle should be able to show what is going on.

And speaking of the Gladiator, I got to see it last night. Pretty good fight battle scene in the beginning. Very nice rain of arrows. But as I've always said, no general that uses cavalry in forests deserves to live :)

But despite its gutwrencing scenes of chaos and mayheme it didn't come close to power and horror of the battle scenes in Braveheart. What set Braveheart aprat from The Gladiator and the 13th warrior was how it 'clearly' showed chaos and carnage. Does this make sense? :)

Not that I think 13th warrior is even in the same league as The Gladiator.

> > lousy characters.
> Keywords
>
> The King
> The Scout
> The Archer
> The swordsman
> The Irish bloke from Braveheart
> The Diplomat

It must be a cultural reflex, but those guys didn't even come close to being vikings. While watching the hero learn the language from listening in on conversations (the old Tarzan trick :), and watching the hero teach the king how to read ('draw thoughts'?..urk) I was really reminded that this was a Walt Disney production. It was a plot so thin I would have been ashamed to play such a thing with my players.

> >It even ends with a dungeon bash!
> Even better

Viking dungeon bash. The horror, the horror!

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen