Re: maps; Resourceful; lawspeaker

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 09:45:15 -0700

Guy wrote

> Would there be any copyright issues if i pursued a Gloranthan mapping
> project on my own?

Yes.

But it might be possible to get permission to distribute something (especially if it were of high quality).

Roderick answered

> > Has anyone had problems with "do anything" abilities, such as
> "Resourceful",
> > being over-used?

> Someone had the idea (a month ago?) of charging "Unrelated to the story"
> (2x) or even "Affinity" (3x) HP costs for these sorts of skills. I wish I'd
> thought of it myself.

I'm glad you didn't -- we've had several characters with "Resourceful," and it never seemed to be abused.

Frank asked

> lawspeaker seems like an advanced occupational keyword. Isn't lawspeaker a
> very specific position on the clan ring? Wouldn't sage, or something to
> that effect, be a better basic keyword, making lawspeaker an advanced
> 'political' occupation?

I don't think the Heortlings in Sartar have much need for sages (Jonstown being one exception, but probably the only one). And you certainly don't have to be on the ring to be an expert in the law, called upon by the clan chief for legal advice.

(At one time in King of Dragon Pass, the lawspeaker was explicitly an office that didn't have to be on the clan ring.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein