Re: Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:53:58 -0800

> > As I stated in another post I believe that there can be good
> reasons
> > to insist that "compound actions" are split.
>
> I'm with Roderick on this one, but Paul does have a point that needs
> addressing. I just feel that Paul's point can be fully addresed using
> appropriateness modifiers, rather than blanket bans, or intrusive
> interference in what actions characters can or can't attempt.

Right. That's what I'm basing my penalties and/or "Bid Bigger"s from. Thanks for expressing it better than me :-).

> The way I'd deal with it is simply look at the ability the character
> is using, and the least apropriate action in the compound statement
> of intent. Then just apply an appropriateness modifier to suit.

One thing we haven't been addressing is the Abilities being used in the contest - description of what you're doing is all well and good, but the nitty-gritty is "So what ability and what augments are you using to do this?", since they, after all, determine the final target number.

If a player says "getting out of the tentacles and attacking the beast" then I'd liike to hear what his primary ability is, and what he's augmenting with. If he uses my Great Strength and Punch then the action is different than if he uses Agility and Magic. And if he tries to use abilities that have little or nothing to do with the situation, then he'll be told "choose another or explain to me how it works" and/or be hit with big penalties and asked to bid high.

RR
- Richelieu